Mechanical Music Digest  Archives
You Are Not Logged In Login/Get New Account
Please Log In. Accounts are free!
Logged In users are granted additional features including a more current version of the Archives and a simplified process for submitting articles.
Home Archives Calendar Gallery Store Links Info

Announcement: End-of-Year Fundraising Drive In Progress

Our End-Of-Year Fundraising drive is in progress. If you haven't contributed to the operation of the MMD in the last 12 months, this would be a great time to contribute. There's a PayPal link at the bottom of each page on the website.

If you aren't sure when you last contributed, please send me a note using the contact form at the bottom of this page and I'll look you up in my records.

Thank you for your generous support!

P.S. While your support is needed and appreciated, you do not need to contribute to be a subscriber. If you have subscribed and aren't receiving your Digest, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page and let me know. Thanks!

MMD > Archives > April 2001 > 2001.04.20 > 04Prev  Next

Felt in Spill Valve of Upright Duo-Art
By Peter Coggins

Hi,  I have been trying to figure out the information available on
Duo-Art spill valves, referring to Mike Kitner's rebuilding guide and
the MMD Archives.  Both stress the importance of having it right.

Mike does say that grands should have rolled-up thick felt in the
hole, as do the Archives, but does not say what the upright should
have.  Are the spills the same?

The hole in my upright box is slot shaped, lined with a piece of thin
felt, and the outside cover has a thick piece of felt which appears as
if someone has coated the outside in glue (to reduce flow?).  Is this
correct, and which of these two felts is called the "muffler" felt?

Peter Coggins

(Message sent Fri 20 Apr 2001, 06:20:15 GMT, from time zone GMT+1000.)

Key Words in Subject:  Duo-Art, Felt, Spill, Upright, Valve

Home    Archives    Calendar    Gallery    Store    Links    Info   

Enter text below to search the MMD Website with Google

CONTACT FORM: Click HERE to write to the editor, or to post a message about Mechanical Musical Instruments to the MMD

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are those of the individual authors and may not represent those of the editors. Compilation copyright 1995-2017 by Jody Kravitz.

Please read our Republication Policy before copying information from or creating links to this web site.

Click HERE to contact the webmaster regarding problems with the website.

Please support publication of the MMD by donating online

Pay via PayPal

No PayPal account required

Translate This Page

. .