Some time back I asked about the problem of my friend's Ampico tearing
rolls on rewind (older rolls, new ones seemed to survive). Well, we
finally noticed that it was also trying to play the notes on reroll --
rather well, in fact! I finally realized that the drag of the vacuum
at the tracker bar was tensioning the roll, besides the playing being
I dropped the pump after determining that no signal at the pump would
turn off the stack. Found that the wooden seat for the shut-off pouch
had come unglued and was just loose in the "box". Nothing else was
amiss, nor damaged, so a quick re-glue put things right, and now the
notes don't play on reroll and, _so far_, no roll tearing, except the
one time it didn't read the "rewind" signal! I wasn't there when this
happened, and it hasn't repeated itself (which is good, but can't
diagnose what happened!). Hmmm...
Now to figure out what is slightly blocking the line from the drawer
to the sustain valve block, slowing down it's reaction time. Then
we'll set the minimum levels and see if this puppy will do it's thing
properly. So far all the rebuilding work appears to have been done
first rate, just never adjusted.
The ongoing saga continues. Just think -- the previous owner just
wanted this rebuilt piano _gone_, to the fireplace, dump, she didn't
care! The new owner, however, really does care!