Mark -- I will probably get lots of flack for my solution to your
problem; however, here goes. In a weak moment I accepted a service
call on a RagOla built-up nickelodeon. I normally only deal with
original old player systems.
It had the same beautifully made Lucite block valve systems. It also
had the same problems. The lock and cancel valve was just not holding.
While well-engineered, there is no way to open this series of valves
to effect a repair. My choice was to either build from scratch using
traditional materials, or cheat! The thought was if I cheat and it
works, _great,_ and it's only minimum work.
With the use of a "suck" tube, it will be very quick to tell which
pouch and valve is leaking. Simply spray silicone into the block of
valves, and while you are sucking you will feel the leak go away.
Because this is a see-through unit, you will notice that the brown
pouch leather will darken as it takes on the silicone.
I don't know how long this "quick fix" will last. I do know
I have used spray silicone on the same unit as the one you have
and it continues to operate two years later. I have also used
a quick spray of silicone on the occasional Ampico "B" valve that
is just not quite working properly when the dry weather comes.
The result is instant and I really can't see any lasting damage.
I am sure I would do much more damage trying to take apart a valve
block that was not meant to be opened up.
If you choose to try this, your piano should be up and working again
Aylmer, Ontario, Canada