Mechanical Music Digest  Gallery
You Are Not Logged In Login/Get New Account
Please Log In. Accounts are free!
Logged In users are granted additional features including a more current version of the Archives and a simplified process for submitting articles.
Home Archives Calendar Gallery Store Links Info
MMD > Gallery > Tech > tuttle_recovering


Announcement: End-of-Year Fundraising Drive In Progress

Our End-Of-Year Fundraising drive is in progress. If you haven't contributed to the operation of the MMD in the last 12 months, this would be a great time to contribute. There's a PayPal link at the bottom of each page on the website.

If you aren't sure when you last contributed, please send me a note using the contact form at the bottom of this page and I'll look you up in my records.

Thank you for your generous support!
Jody

P.S. While your support is needed and appreciated, you do not need to contribute to be a subscriber. If you have subscribed and aren't receiving your Digest, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page and let me know. Thanks!

tuttle_recovering
Recovering Player Piano Bellows
by John A. Tuttle (040308 MMDigest)

tuttle_leaking1.jpg (21 kb)Leaking Bellows Cloth or Bad Seal?

Hi All,  Had I not encountered the same problem in two different devices in one week, I would most likely not be writing.  However, the following problem was so severe and so deceiving that I feel it deserves mention in the MMD.

The problem seemed to be leaking bellows cloth.  However, I found that the real problem was the cloth-to-wood glue seal.  What was deceiving was evidence that a good seal did exist, i.e., there was a bead of glue that had squeezed out from between the wood and the cloth when the cloth was pressed onto the wood.

I finally discovered the true nature of the problem when I applied Phenoseal to the area where the wood and cloth met and then forced air (by sucking) between the cloth and the wood.  What I saw was lots of tiny bubbles (see picture).

Since the cloth was heavy weight bellows cloth with the fuzzy back, here is what I believe happened.  When the glue made contact with the fuzzy back, the moisture quickly soaked into the cloth and even squeezed out a bit.  However, it didn't saturate the cloth (and/or the wood).  This left hundreds or maybe thousands of microscopic voids through which air could easily pass, making it appear that the cloth was defective.

How can this problem be eliminated?  Double check the seal before considering the job done.  I explain the procedure I use -- which I learned from Craig Brougher -- in a new web page called "Recovering Bellows".  It is located at: http://www.player-care.com/recovering_bellows.html

Basically, you apply the glue, set the cloth, and then quickly remove the cloth and check for voids.  Keep doing this until there are no more voids.  Then apply a final thin coat of glue and set the cloth a final time.

Musically,

John A. Tuttle
Player-Care.com
Brick, NJ, USA
08 Mar 2004 17:58:42 -0500


08 March 2004

Home    Archives    Calendar    Gallery    Store    Links    Info   


Enter text below to search the MMD Website with Google
Loading



CONTACT FORM: Click HERE to write to the editor, or to post a message about Mechanical Musical Instruments to the MMD

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are those of the individual authors and may not represent those of the editors. Compilation copyright 1995-2017 by Jody Kravitz.

Please read our Republication Policy before copying information from or creating links to this web site.

Click HERE to contact the webmaster regarding problems with the website.

Please support publication of the MMD by donating online

Pay via PayPal

No PayPal account required

                                                       
Translate This Page

. .