Mechanical Music Digest  Archives
You Are Not Logged In Login/Get New Account
Please Log In. Accounts are free!
Logged In users are granted additional features including a more current version of the Archives and a simplified process for submitting articles.
Home Archives Calendar Gallery Store Links Info
MMD > Archives > November 1997 > 1997.11.05 > 02Prev  Next

What's a Hurdy-Gurdy?
By Craig Brougher

Angelo Rulli was asking about the term Hurdy-Gurdy.  Both words are
nouns, and appropriated from the actual meanings or roots in the
Webster's unabridged dictionary.  A Hurdy-Gurdy refers to the twisting of
a drum.  Onboard fishing trawlers, there is still a drum called a gurdy
that winds in the nets.  The name hurdy refers to the twists in a woman's
hair or coffier.  Put them together and you get "twisting the drum."  It's
a comic name that has also been applied to everything that is cranked or
turned for a frivolous purpose (usually).

Craig Brougher

 [ Hmmm.  Which chicken or egg came first?  Did the sailors apply their
 [ term to the hand-cranked instrument, or was it verse-visa?  -- Robbie

(Message sent Wed 5 Nov 1997, 17:40:30 GMT, from time zone GMT.)

Key Words in Subject:  Hurdy-Gurdy, What's

Home    Archives    Calendar    Gallery    Store    Links    Info   

Enter text below to search the MMD Website with Google

CONTACT FORM: Click HERE to write to the editor, or to post a message about Mechanical Musical Instruments to the MMD

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are those of the individual authors and may not represent those of the editors. Compilation copyright 1995-2024 by Jody Kravitz.

Please read our Republication Policy before copying information from or creating links to this web site.

Click HERE to contact the webmaster regarding problems with the website.

Please support publication of the MMD by donating online

Please Support Publication of the MMD with your Generous Donation

Pay via PayPal

No PayPal account required

Translate This Page