hosted on condor3913
 Mechanical Music Digest  Archives
You Are Not Logged In Login/Get New Account
Please Log In. Accounts are free!
Logged In users are granted additional features including a more current version of the Archives and a simplified process for submitting articles.
Home Archives Calendar Gallery Store Links Info

Announcement: Outbound Mail Delivery Broken

We are having a problem with our mail service provider. Inbound mail is working but outbound mail -- specifically for mailing the Digest -- is not working and we know it. Sorry!!! Please bear with us. In the meantime, I will endeavor to keep the MMD website up-to-date with updates DAILY.

Please visit the MMD Archives! Thank you -- Jody

MMD > Archives > May 2002 > 2002.05.30 > 10Prev  Next


Technically Dead!
By Paul Anderson

On Wed, 29 May 2002, John A. Tuttle wrote:

>
> So, my question is: Why didn't she feel even the slightest shock?
>
Electricity doesn't just leap out thwack people.  You need to provide a
more tempting (less resistive) path to ground than the electricity
already has.  It is far more likely that the electricity would short
out within the plug on the end of the extension cord then come out and
zap you.  Similarly, a hair-dryer dropped in a bathtub filled with
water, which is inhabited by someone, will NOT electrocute the tub's
occupant.  It will produce some neato fireworks, and probably pop the
breaker, but since the tub's occupant does not present a path of lower
resistance to ground, he does not get electrocuted.

Water, while indeed conductive, is still very resistive(pure water, in
fact, is not at all conductive), and it takes a considerable amount of
power to overcome this resistance.  Hollywood, as usual, has the facts
completely wrong.

 [ It is easily possible for current to flow through the tub's
 [ occupant AND also simultaneously between the internal exposed
 [ contacts inside the dryer.  You may not even get any sparks or
 [ pop a breaker (unless its a GFI, and then I wouldn't intentionally
 [ find out how bad it felt to be the current path for the test).  If
 [ you feel obliged to experiment, don't include yourself in the
 [ circuit, even accidentally. You can get a nasty shock
 [ in a Midwestern basement through damp leather bottom shoes
 [ while touching the 'hot' wire.  I know this from firsthand
 [ experience.  Its extremely easy for 'live' experiments to
 [ go wrong.  Beware...    Jody


(Message sent Thu 30 May 2002, 21:09:26 GMT, from time zone GMT-0400.)

Key Words in Subject:  Dead, Technically

Home    Archives    Calendar    Gallery    Store    Links    Info   


Enter text below to search the MMD Website with Google



CONTACT FORM: Click HERE to write to the editor, or to post a message about Mechanical Musical Instruments to the MMD

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are those of the individual authors and may not represent those of the editors. Compilation copyright 1995-2022 by Jody Kravitz.

Please read our Republication Policy before copying information from or creating links to this web site.

Click HERE to contact the webmaster regarding problems with the website.

Please support publication of the MMD by donating online

Pay via PayPal

No PayPal account required

                                     
Translate This Page