hosted on condor3913
 Mechanical Music Digest  Archives
You Are Not Logged In Login/Get New Account
Please Log In. Accounts are free!
Logged In users are granted additional features including a more current version of the Archives and a simplified process for submitting articles.
Home Archives Calendar Gallery Store Links Info

End-of-Summer Fundraising Drive In Progress. Please visit our home page to see this and other announcements: https://www.mmdigest.com     Thank you. --Jody

MMD > Archives > March 2003 > 2003.03.17 > 04Prev  Next


Polyurethane Coated Nylon Cloth & PVC Glue
By Albert de Boer

I redid the stack on my 1912 Heinzman 88-note upright in 1995 using
rubberized cloth advertised for that purpose by PPCo.  The job of
cleaning the old hide glue was not a simple one.  I decided right
then and there that I would make fresh new boards from alder wood
should I ever have to do the stack again.

The finished job turned out to be quite a bit short of what I would
call a success.  There was leakage all over and to play a roll I had
to pump like the dickens.  Leaking valves were suspected, and there
were some, but the biggest problem turned out to be the striker cloth.

So apart it went again, and besides the few leaky valves I discovered
that the pneumatic cloth had stiffened quite a bit, and checking a
remnant left from the job and holding it against the light there were
pin size flaws all over.  (I should have... why did I not... etc. etc.)

I decided right away to make new boards; I sealed them and, on the
advice of Craig Brougher, I used polyurethane coated nylon cloth,
gluing it down with PVC glue.  With a table saw and a 12" planer one
can do wonders.

He stressed that I should glue the _shiny_ side of the cloth to the
wood.  Had he not said that, I would probably have glued the buff side
to the wood.  Checking the resulting peel and shear strength of the
joint after a couple of days, it does make a difference which side of
the cloth was glued down.

Having completed all striker pneumatics they are ready to be installed
(if I ever find the time).  Obviously I tested the cloth for pin holes
and glue strength.

I am very impressed with the result so far and would rather make new
pneumatic boards than go through the dusty mess of getting whatever
glue removed.  Besides that, when the boards are cut to size _after_
both sides have been sealed, there is no question  of left over glue
on all (straight) sides.  Before applying shellac I placed some tape
in the area where the hinge would be glued.

One learns all the time.

Albert de Boer


(Message sent Mon 17 Mar 2003, 21:44:50 GMT, from time zone GMT-1000.)

Key Words in Subject:  Cloth, Coated, Glue, Nylon, Polyurethane, PVC

Home    Archives    Calendar    Gallery    Store    Links    Info   


Enter text below to search the MMD Website with Google



CONTACT FORM: Click HERE to write to the editor, or to post a message about Mechanical Musical Instruments to the MMD

Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are those of the individual authors and may not represent those of the editors. Compilation copyright 1995-2022 by Jody Kravitz.

Please read our Republication Policy before copying information from or creating links to this web site.

Click HERE to contact the webmaster regarding problems with the website.

Please support publication of the MMD by donating online

Pay via PayPal

No PayPal account required

                                     
Translate This Page