Hello, Recently our museum received a donation of a set of photos
of Aeolian organs, which must have been intended as promotional
material for agents of the Aeolian Company. They picture the music
rooms of the houses, and the many other places inside these big
houses where the organs could be installed.
The photos are different sizes, but all pictures measure about 3 by
4 inches. They are backed with linen, with the printed text:
The Aeolian Pipe-Organ, The Aeolian Company N.Y.
This set of pictures comes probably from a salesman's book from the
piano shop of Bender in Amsterdam, who was the Aeolian representative
in Holland. Two Aeolian pipe organs were imported in the Netherlands
(#1074 and #1163) which are both in our collection, waiting for
After the closure of the Choralion Saal (Aeolian Hall) in Berlin
after WW1, the organ there (#1031) came to Holland too and was divided
in two parts. One part with a new Aeolian console (#1644) was in
a house that was destroyed in the battle of Arnhem (1944), the other
part (in the showroom of Bender) was later placed in a church in the
north of the country, but is also no longer in existence. Only a few
remaining parts thereof were donated to our museum.
We try to locate all the Aeolian pipe organs that were installed
originally on the European continent. All information is welcome.
More particularly we would like to know if Aeolian Organ #1501 is
still in existence. It was installed in the house of Mr. J.C. Bunge
in Switzerland (1922 until c. 1950 when it was removed), who had
also organ #1163 which is in our museum.
Kasper Janse - Pianola Museum