Is My Player Action Steger or Pratt-Read?
By Luke Myers
Here are a few things I wish to confirm about the player action in my
1. The inside valves do not use any kind of zephyr skin/leather tabs
to aid in centering.
2. The inside valve seats are circular aluminum plates. The outside
valve plates are wood. This is opposite of the description of the
Artemis action mentioned on the 'Artemis-Krell' page on the Player-Care
website. That page describes the inside seats as being rectangular
3. The valves are not accessible, nor adjustable, from the front.
4. The top of the primary valve board bears an uncanny resemblance to
the primary board of the Pratt-Read action pictured on the top right
of page 132 of the Reblitz player piano book. Compare the attached
pictures of the primary board from my piano, and you can see this very
5. The tracking device is similar to the one used in the Autopiano.
It has two thumb nuts for adjustment, and two tracking ears.
6. The player action does not have any hammer-rail lifting pneumatics
as described in the 'Steger Natural Player' page on the Player-Care
7. The air motor is identical to the one picture on the page of this
8. In working on my piano, there have been several indications to me
that there was some "original" adding/removal of parts that were from
the player mechanism. There are places where a couple of boards are
cut short where they should have been full length.
9. The bellows system is one which has access to flap valves on both
reservoirs, "a rare feature" in the Reblitz book. All components of
the foot pump can be taken off the trunk board by removing several
screws from each component.
10. The player action does not tally with "poor design from technical
or performance standpoints."
11. If indeed the Steger company produced such an action as mine,
they did it only _once_ (or maybe twice at the most) and then stopped.
12. I have been very unsuccessful in finding pictures of the early
Pratt-Read player action with rocking levers. If the action in my
piano was in fact one of those, it would rule out the other brand.
firstname.lastname@example.org ["delete ".geentroep" to reply]
[ Primary Board-1
[ Primary Board-2
(Message sent Mon 30 Jan 2017, 16:31:13 GMT, from time zone GMT-0800.)