Dreaded hot melt glue used to rebuild wind motor
Hi All, This subject has come up numerous times, but I don't recall
that anyone ever mentioned a truly effective way of getting rid of the
hot melt glue short of making new pieces, or grinding (with a belt
sander) or planing (with a planing machine) the two adjoining surfaces.
Naturally, this second method will ultimately remove some wood on both
surfaces and necessitate the installation of a filler wood like a piece
While I find this option acceptable, I am curious to know what other
methods (if any) have proved successful. Right now, since the adjoining
pieces are almost perfectly flat, I'm trying deep freezing the pieces,
after which I will try removing the glue with a chisel or 30-50 grit
sandpaper on the bent sander -- which, of course, will ruin the belt...
By the way, removing the bellows from the block and removing the cloth
from the bellows was quite easy. I just heated the block in a microwave
oven until the glue got hot enough that the pieces easily pulled off
the block, and later heated the individual bellows again to remove the
cloth with no effort. Almost to my surprise, the majority of the hot
glue stayed on the cloth, and the wood was very clean.
More on the story as it progresses... I plan to post pictures of the
block (sans pneumatics) and the bellows (sans cloth) to show what
process I ended up using. But, I will give you a clue: the freezing
worked well on the first bellows. Other suggestions welcome.
John A Tuttle
Brick, New Jersey, USA