Hi All, Perhaps it's just the fact that I've been rebuilding air-motor
after air-motor for the past six months. Seems like there's always one
on the bench these days.
However, I've noticed a somewhat mysterious trend that I'd just like to
bring to your attention. In over 90% of the air-motors I've rebuilt,
I've found a significant amount of leakage in the main vacuum supply
The solution has been quite simple. Seal off all the holes and pour in
a healthy amount of Phenoseal, slosh it around for a minute or so and
pour out the excess. After about twenty minutes, remove the tape and
let the unit dry for 24 hours. Success rate... 100%.
What's so mysterious? Where the Phenoseal is leaking out! In almost
every case, the leaks are in between the pneumatic boards that are
mounted on the block, not underneath the boards.
Why is it happening? Well, it's only speculation on my part but I
believe it has to do with the aging of the wood and the hide glue.
Of coarse, everyone knows that wood dries as it ages and cracks do
develop but the wood is usually covered with a layer of hide glue.
Upon close inspection, it was easy to see that the hide glue had
sizable cracks and that's where the Phenoseal 'came out' almost every
So do your player a favor and check the vacuum supply channel. I think
you'll be very surprised to find out just how much vacuum is being lost
'through' the wood.
By the way, Player-Care is in the process of yet another big change.
Starting April 1, 1998 (hopefully), Player-Care will be offering Paid
Advertising for those trying to sell or buy items related to mechanical
After a year of offering Free Advertising, the service is coming
to an abrupt halt. In it's place, web space will be offered at very
reasonable rates. More on that in a later letter. Also, counting only
unique sites, Player-Care received over 4200 hits last month, site
visits were up another 10% over January 98 and over 600% since April 1,
"Keep The Music Rolling"
John A. Tuttle