Hi Everyone, I know that most, if not all, of you have experienced the
unpleasant odor that comes from an old instrument. Taking for granted
that the problem is not caused by living creatures, all that's left is
fungi or bacterium.
Since both of these live off of organic material (like wood), it seems
highly likely that one of both of them are responsible for the odor.
What I'd like to know is: how do you get rid of it?
I've heard of a number of remedies; bleach, vinegar, moth flakes, etc.,
but I'd like to know for sure before recommending any of these 'fixes'
Once I get a general consensus from this forum, I'll create a web page
with the accumulated information. All input is welcome and can be
posted either directly to me or through the MMD. If the information is
posted to the MMD, I will ask the author and the editors for permission
to use the information.
John A. Tuttle (firstname.lastname@example.org)